Call 412.853.2000 for a free 10 minute consultation or to schedule an appointment
While it's easy to talk about one's professional background as a psychologist, and couples therapist and coach (40 years of experience), in reality my most important credentials and "seasonings" come from my experiences as a Dad, Stepdad, Husband, Latin-American roots, and being a cancer survivor (Pancreatic).
I'm married to Claire Saenz, Esq., and have a fantastic 35 year old son, an incredible 29 year old daughter, and two tremendous step-children (ages 26 and 30) who have all added much to my life. It is said that: "Children are the clothes of a man," and so my hope is that who and what they are all becoming is partially a reflection of who I have been as a role model, parent and step-parent, and who I am now as an engaged and caring friend first, and a parent second.
My wife and children/step-children have been the most influential "forces" in my life, together they've shaped me in ways that I never imagined, even if I fought many of the changes along the way. They have made me not only a better psychologist, but a much more compassionate, patient, understanding, insightful--and hopefully a wiser, more humble, modest, open, and witty human. As my son once said to me when he was 5-6 years old: "Yep, daddy... I made you who you are... I sure did!"
And as I look back 35 years... without a doubt, he was right! It is through the experiences of parenting and being a life-companion to Claire that I became very "human" in my approach to life and those I serve.
Hopefully, you'll see our work as "sacred", meaningful, and life changing. Finally, my goal is to be as human as possible—approachable, understanding, open, warm, compassionate, and occasionally witty.
1. If you're looking for a seasoned professional, someone with solid experience--I fit the bill with over 35 years of experience. But I'm still active, strong, inquisitive, and energetic. There is a direct correlation between experience and better outcomes in therapy.
2. If you're looking for someone who asks thoughtful and insightful questions, challenges you to meet your goals, and is active and direct, then we should do well. If you're looking for a "Stepford" therapist--someone to agree with you, mumble at times, nod, sit quietly and only listen and not encourage you to step out and meet life--I might not be the best therapist for you. After all, this is not "tea sipping" therapy.
Ultimately though, our relationship will be highly collaborative--a "team" approach focused solely on your behalf.
3. I absolutely love what I do. I really do enjoy listening to "other people's problems" and being able to add value to their lives. Few professions are as interesting and fascinating as this one; the mind and human behavior are truly the last frontier (space, the Arctic and Antarctica run a close second).
4. I’m as real and authentic as they come. I'm less interested in technique than I am in having a genuine, empathetic, forthright and compassionate relationship. Therapy is primarily about the relationship. Technique, while important, is secondary. This does not mean I throw out the latest research and thought regarding my craft, it means that I use this material to inform, rather than dictate, my approach to therapy.
5. I’m a research and neurosciences nerd, but also stay current regarding the practice of psychotherapy. This means that your therapy is informed by the most up-to-date practices in psychotherapy, understanding psychotropic medications, and the mind-brain-social-body connection. Understanding you as a whole is important since my approach is holistic and integrative (a combination of approaches to healing and wellbeing).
My hope is to be as human as possible--approachable, understanding and compassionate, friendly, open, a bit witty at times, and emotionally accessible.
Finally, if we decide that I’m not the right psychotherapist or psychologist for you, I’ll help you find someone who’s a better fit, and whose work I respect and trust.
Call for a free consultation @ 412.853.2000
1000 Brooktree Rd #209, Wexford PA, 150
Monday - Friday: 9am - 8pm
Saturday: By appointment