I could bore you by bragging about my over 35 years of training and experience in clinical and forensic psychology, but I'd rather say that I work my tail off for each person, couple and relationship because I love my work and believe in the process.
In reality my greatest credentials and "seasonings" come from my experiences as a Dad, Stepdad, Husband. and cancer survivor (pancreatic).
I'm married to Claire Saenz, Esq., and have a fantastic 32 year old son, an incredible 26 year old daughter, and two tremendous step-children (ages 25 and 27) who have all added much to my life. It is said that: "Children are the clothes of a man," and so my hope is that who and what they have become is partially a reflection of who I have been as a parent and step-parent, and who I am now as an engaged and caring friend first, and a parent second.
My wife and children/step-children have been the most influential "forces" in my life, together they've shaped me in ways that I never imagined, even if I fought many of the changes along the way. They have made me not only a better psychologist, but a much more compassionate, patient, understanding, insightful--and hopefully a wiser, more humble, modest, open, and witty--human. As my son once said to me when he was 5-6 years old: "Yep, daddy... I made you who you are... I sure did!" And as I look back nearly 30 years... without a doubt, he was right! It is through these experiences that I became very "human" in my approach to life and those I serve.
1. If you're looking for solid experience, well, I'm fairly ancient now (in my 60's) and have been around the block a few times--but I'm still active, strong, inquisitive, and energetic. There is a direct correlation between experience and better outcomes in therapy. I've been in the field for 40 years now, so I think this qualifies as seasoned!
2. If you're looking for someone who is asks questions, challenges you to meet your goals, and is engaged and direct, then we should do well. If you're looking for a "Stepford" therapist--someone to agree with you, mumble at times, nod, sit there quietly and only listen, and not challenge you--I'm not the therapist for you.
At times I'll be active and directive by challenging you to meet your goals; other times I'll be on the sidelines listening carefully, and providing encouragement, support, and understanding. Ultimately though, our relationship will be highly collaborative--a "team" approach focused solely on your behalf.
My approach is holistic and integrative--I look first at who you are as a whole, your needs and your concerns. My hope is to be as human as possible--approachable, understanding and compassionate, friendly, open, a bit witty at times, and emotionally accessible.
3. I absolutely love what I do. I really do enjoy listening to "other people's problems" and being able to add value to their lives. Few professions are as interesting and fascinating as this one; the mind and human behavior are truly the last frontier (Alaska, the Arctic and Antarctica run a close second).
4. I’m as real and authentic as they come. I'm less interested in technique than I am in having a genuine, empathetic, forthright and compassionate relationship. Therapy is primarily about the relationship. Technique, while important, is secondary. This does not mean I throw out the latest research and thought regarding my craft, it means that I use this material to inform, rather than dictate, my approach to therapy.
5. I’m a research and neurosciences nerd, but also stay current regarding the practice of psychotherapy. This means that your therapy is informed by the most up-to-date practices in psychotherapy, understanding psychotropic medications, and the mind-brain-social-body connection. Understanding you as a whole is important!
Finally, if we decide that I’m not the right psychotherapist or psychologist for you, I’ll help you find someone who’s a better fit, and whose work I respect and trust.
Call for a free consultation @ 412.853.2000
1000 Brooktree Rd #209, Wexford PA, 150
Monday - Friday: 9am - 8pm
Saturday: By appointment